Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Nhân Quyền

The Vietnamese Newspaper

Financial support if you were affected by the recent floods

The Australian Government provides financial support if you were directly affected by a declared natural disaster.

You must meet the declared Local Government Area rules to be eligible for these payments. You can be eligible for both payments.

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is lump sum payment of $1,000 for each eligible adult and $400 for each dependent child under 16.

To be eligible, the floods must have seriously affected you. For example:

  • you were seriously injured
  • you are the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died or is missing
  • the floods destroyed or caused major damage to your home or a major asset at your home with a combined market value of $20,000 or more.

Disaster Recovery Allowance is an ongoing, short term allowance to help if you lost income as a direct result of the floods.

You cannot get Disaster Recovery Allowance if you are getting an income support payment or pension, Farm Household Allowance or a Service Pension from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.

We also have payments available to New Zealand citizens living in Australia holding a non‑protected Special Category Visa (subclass 444).

The fastest way to claim these payments is online using your myGov account. If you do not have one yet, you can set one up.

If you cannot claim online, you can call us on 180 22 66. Let us know if you need an interpreter and we will arrange one for free. If you have a nominee, they must call us to claim on your behalf.

To read more about the declared disaster event and eligible Local Government Areas, go to servicesaustralia.gov.au/disaster