Sunday, May 19, 2024

Nhân Quyền

The Vietnamese Newspaper

Income compliance program settlement payments

Services Australia is writing to people who are part of the Income Compliance or robodebt class action.

If you are part of the class action, you will get a letter by 19 November 2021 with information about your debt categories and if you are eligible for a settlement payment.

Your letter will be sent to your myGov inbox or by post, depending on how you choose to get letters from Services Australia.

Not every class action member will get a settlement payment.

The letter will not tell you how much money you will get. If you are eligible, Services Australia will write to you again in the first half of 2022 to let you know the amount before they pay you.

Most people will not get a large settlement payment. The majority of settlement payments will be between $50 and $300.  

We’ll calculate settlement payments for all eligible group members, even if they only repaid a small amount of their debt. This means some group members will get less than $10. 

If you currently get a Centrelink payment, or recently got a refund of your Income Compliance debt, your settlement payment will go into the same bank account.

If you want to change your bank details, you can do this using your Centrelink online account through myGov. You have until 11 February 2022 to update your details.

If you do not get a regular payment from us, and have not given us your bank details as part of the refund process, you must do this to get your settlement payment.

If you think Services Australia has not included all of your eligible debts in the letter, or you think your debts have been put in the wrong category, you can ask for a review. You need to ask for a review by 10 December 2021.

You can do this by completing the ‘Class action settlement query’ in your Centrelink online account.

For more information in your language, go to

You can also call 1800 171 846 and speak to Services Australia about the settlement process. Let us know if you need an interpreter, and we will arrange one for free.